Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > The Flash - SMS (MMC5) Owner: Macromaniac New post
Page 1 of 1 Sort:  
The Flash - SMS (MMC5) Posted: 2014-01-14 22:55  (Last Edited: 2014-01-20 00:45) Reply | Quote
Macromaniac

Avatar

Member for: 4639 days
Location: Paris
Status: Offline

#53740
Hi all, this is my first post here!

There's a fairly obscure game named "The Flash" for SMS, and there's that one song from the game I've grown obsessed with to the point of making a cover. It plays during the "Trickster for Mayor" levels, and it's made by a familiar name - I'll leave it to you to figure out ;-).
Here's the original for reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fag2iMR_YFc

The first four frames have caused the most trouble - I don't aim for 100% accuracy but I just can't for the life of me emulate the oomph from the first few chords. The next frames turned out a lot better.

Enjoy!


Attachments:
the_flash.ftm (34 Kb)
Posted: 2014-01-15 00:43 Reply | Quote
Fezuke

Avatar

Member for: 5564 days
Location: Le Gardeur, Quebec
Status: Offline

#53745
I really enjoyed this! Great work!

_______________________
My 8-Bit Soundcloud
My Other Project Soundcloud
Posted: 2014-01-16 19:49 Reply | Quote
za909

Avatar

Member for: 5522 days
Location: Hungary
Status: Offline

#53772
Really cool!
I think the oomph you're talking about comes from using the periodic noise mode on the SN76489 for just a single frame, which produces a very buzzy tone at the beginning of those arpeggio chords. The lowest VRC6 duty cycle is essentially the same, but for even better accuracy one could go ahead and use the N163 for it.

Posted: 2014-01-16 19:54 Reply | Quote
PaulMannIV

Avatar

Member for: 5221 days
Location: Louisville Ky
Status: Offline

#53773
Nice first post. To be honest, the MMC5 is a good way to segway into the VRC6, which is typically the superior chip (though the Sawtooth is typically used as an extra bass of sorts). If THIS is the kind of work that can be done, though, I expect great things out of you ^_^

_______________________
Smogon, Famitracker, YouTube...
So many places, so little creativity left...
Posted: 2014-01-19 20:16  (Last Edited: 2014-01-19 20:35) Reply | Quote
Macromaniac

Avatar

Member for: 4639 days
Location: Paris
Status: Offline

#53809
Thank you very much guys!
I thought that buzz heard in the beginning was specific to the SN76489 as all my attempts to recreat it were fruitless, so I left the first frame as is, despite my perfectionist nature. Oh well, t'was a lot of fun anyway!
I may try with another chip sometime later, so thanks for the tip!

Also, I updated the file with minor fixes!

Page 1 of 1 Sort: