Login:
Menu:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > BASIC LOVE BYTES Owner: Naff_Natty New post
Page 1 of 1 Sort:  
BASIC LOVE BYTES Posted: 2012-11-20 22:54  (Last Edited: 2012-12-06 02:20) Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Member for: 838 days

Here's a bouncy tune I'm working on in VRC7. Comments may help me to go further, so they're appreciated.

EDIT *FINISHED*

Posted: 2012-11-20 23:19 Reply | Quote
Mr_Master

Member for: 632 days

Your tune is so good that I can't even download it. Make sure you post the ftm next time.

Posted: 2012-11-21 00:58 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Mr_Master wrote:
Your tune is so good that I can't even download it. Make sure you post the ftm next time.

Schoolboy error.

Posted: 2012-11-21 01:07 Reply | Quote
Mr_Master

Member for: 632 days

Yeah, it's ok. Perhaps there could be something to improve here and there, but overall it's good. I liked those weird effects on square channels. They make the song sound cool.

Posted: 2012-11-21 08:48  (Last Edited: 2012-11-21 08:54) Reply | Quote
Fezuke

Member for: 1116 days

I'm 99.9% sure I already heard this tune....And I'm also 99.9% sure that YOU posted it. Am I crazy? Ah wait, this could have been a WIP in the short loops thread......Sorry my bad if it's the case.

Nice little tune actually, I really hate reggae, I always find that every single song sounds the same, but in chip form, it's actually pretty good.

You got my head bobbin'

Good work Naff.

Posted: 2012-11-21 16:56 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Fezuke wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure I already heard this tune....And I'm also 99.9% sure that YOU posted it. Am I crazy? Ah wait, this could have been a WIP in the short loops thread......Sorry my bad if it's the case.

Yep, think i put it in WIP first

Fezuke wrote:
Nice little tune actually, I really hate reggae, I always find that every single song sounds the same, but in chip form, it's actually pretty good.

You got my head bobbin'

Good work Naff.

Thanks! As for the reggae thing, there's a lot of reggae out there, which means that there's a lot of mediocre reggae out there, which is what a lot of people here. I do assure you there are some awesome reggae bands, but I'm talking to a metaller (right?) - I've had this conversation before. Not usually an easy one!

Posted: 2012-11-21 17:56 Reply | Quote
Ares64

Member for: 990 days

heeey! i like metal and reggae :p

this is pretty darn good, good work :D

Posted: 2012-11-21 19:39  (Last Edited: 2012-11-21 19:44) Reply | Quote
Fezuke

Naff_Natty wrote:

Thanks! As for the reggae thing, there's a lot of reggae out there, which means that there's a lot of mediocre reggae out there, which is what a lot of people here. I do assure you there are some awesome reggae bands, but I'm talking to a metaller (right?) - I've had this conversation before. Not usually an easy one!

I used to be one of those Metalheads that's close minded and ONLY listens to Heavy stuff. But with the years, that has changed. I'm actually very curious as to hearing some of those 'different' reggae bands. Post a link do0d. I listen to almost everything nowadays, and I believe you when you say that I probably just heard the crappy reggae bands, because it's the same when it comes to metal and other musical styles. Radio kills music.

One of the reasons I mostly write metal is probably my experience in writing metal tunes with a guitar, so I guess it's my comfort zone. As reggae seems to be yours.

Posted: 2012-11-22 02:36 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Fezuke wrote:
I used to be one of those Metalheads that's close minded and ONLY listens to Heavy stuff. But with the years, that has changed.

I used to be a punk as a kid, and cornered myself into only liking punk so I know how this feels.

Fezuke wrote:
One of the reasons I mostly write metal is probably my experience in writing metal tunes with a guitar, so I guess it's my comfort zone. As reggae seems to be yours.

Yeah. straight. I DJed reggae for years and got into writing rhythmic, vibey stuff. I think in terms of one-drops.

Fezuke wrote:
I'm actually very curious as to hearing some of those 'different' reggae bands. Post a link do0d.

Uh oh.

Well, as a DJ I'm used to being responsible for the good name of reggae, so I'm going to post a few links in earnest and hope you have the time to listen to them.

First of all, let me introduce them though. I've always been into the funky, soulful side of reggae. Most people when they think of it think of the whole jah rastafari stuff. There's some good heavy rasta reggae out there, but most of it is just watered down Pete Tosh style stuff, which in turn is watered down Bob Marley. Not that great. Plus, too much about Jah can, erm, jar.

So the first track is by a guy called Jackie Mittoo, who was THE resident musician at Studio One. Half of the popular reggae melodies in existence originate from instrumentals of his. He was really into funk and soul, taking influences from great bands like The Meters, so a full third of his solo stuff isn't even reggae. You should check out more of his stuff if you have the time. You may recognise among them a famous version of his original melody: Jackie Mitto / Oboe

The second comes from a band with one of my favourite singers. I find this guy's voice is like liberation itself. Plus it's fantastically brassy. Some of the music you may feel as repetitive, but different styles aren't just a way of making music, they're also a way of listening to music. In metal (esp. prog) you're used to being taken on a journey, whereas reggae is more a "floatin' on a vibe" style of music. There's a lot of depth in the subtle circles, spirals, synchopation etc and it creates a hypnotic effect. Next tune: Toots & the Maytals / Funky Kingston

The following one comes from a guy who carved a living out of playing a child's toy. He's the reason everyone and his mother makes dubs with melodica nowadays. At the time this tune was novel in that it brought minor scales and darker vibes into reggae, as well as featuring for the first time melodica: Augustus Pablo / East of the River Nile

Well I guess I should stop there! Pretty hard to represent reggae with 3 tunes, but I hope you enjoy them, or at least they give you food for thought.

Posted: 2012-11-23 10:57  (Last Edited: 2012-11-23 10:58) Reply | Quote
Fezuke

Do0d sorry for posting this late. I took a good listen to all three songs and i'm impressed. Especially Jackie Mittoo. The lack of vocals turned me on immediately. Same for Augutus Pablo. I enjoyed Toots & the maytals aswell to be quite honest. Those were great choices to have me intrigued and asking you for perhaps more instrumental styles like those 2 above. I would actually listen to this. :D

And I understand what you mean about getting tranced and absorbed into the music. I was just bobbin' my head the whole time.

Posted: 2012-11-23 20:48 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Fezuke wrote:
Do0d sorry for posting this late.

No probs, thought you'd need some time to sit and listen to the songs anyway.

Fezuke wrote:
Those were great choices to have me intrigued and asking you for perhaps more instrumental styles like those 2 above. I would actually listen to this. :D

Well, I'm glad you liked them. This is actually getting me back in to selecting, so I'm enjoying picking the tunes I'm going to play.

There's a LOT of reggae instrumentals of different types. I'll post links to a few.

This tune's by Tommy McCook - a famous Jamaican saxophonist who started off in the same band as Jackie Mittoo: The Skatalites (this band, btw, were responsible for inventing ska, from which all Jamaican music originates). Tommy McCook / Green Mango

This one features flute, which I always love in the few times it appears in reggae. Drumbago & the Dynamites / Dulcimania

This one is the Studio One house band, of which Mittoo was the leader. Like a lot of the Sound Dimension's tunes, it's a famous and well used/sampled cut: Sound Dimension / Real Rock

Another Jackie Mittoo - see if you recognise what this melody went on to become. TBH it'd be worth searching some different Mittoo yourself, there're lots of good tunes out there, particularly on the compilation "The Keyboard King at Studio One" Jackie Mittoo / Ghetto Organ

Gonna leave you with a vocal track. This is the romantic side of reggae. Could be classed as lovers' rock. Just wanted to show yet another side of reggae. The Eternals / Queen of the Minstrels