Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > ...little help? Owner: Necrophageon New post
Page 3 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3]
Posted: 2012-10-25 15:15 Reply | Quote
Glitch_King

Avatar

Member for: 5286 days
Location: California
Status: Offline

#41104
lately, alot of great famitracker chipist have left the forum. I'm not sure why though...

Posted: 2012-10-25 16:56 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41105
I wouldn't worry just yet. Gyms is passionate about Famitracker and always has a lot to offer - I don't think he's sausaged. for a start his posts are still here.

More like he tried to change his avatar using something that's not compatible with the forum, and he hasn't noticed yet.

If I ever sausage I'm going to go through all my posts and change them to the the word "sausage".

Posted: 2012-10-25 17:12 Reply | Quote
zephemeros

Avatar

Member for: 5504 days
Location: Campbell River, British Columbia
Status: Offline

#41107
Naff_Natty wrote:
for a start his posts are still here.


nope

_______________________
| youtube | soundcloud |
Posted: 2012-10-25 17:17  (Last Edited: 2012-10-25 17:17) Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41108
gyms wrote:
Patashu wrote:
I know the first and second are just sevenths, but what do you call the third one?


The third one is a very nice voicing of C(add9).

The notes from lowest to highest are: C-G->D-E The lowest note will always be your root, so you know right away this is gonna be a C chord. The G is the fifth, the D is the ninth and the E is the third(placed an octave higher). Since the ninth is the highest degree, it's what names the chord.

It's considered "add9" in this case because this is what you call a regular major or minor triad with a ninth degree added onto it and nothing else. This differs from a

Cmaj9: C-E-G-B->D (notice there's a major seventh chord in there with the ninth on top)

or

C9: C-E-G-Bb>D (also called dominant 9, notice there's a dominant 7 chord in there with a ninth on top)


But what's more important to note here is not the proper nomenclature, but the nice voicing used. Notice that C, G and D are all perfect fifths apart. This is touching on a concept know as quintal harmony. I won't get into that now in order to avoid writing another novel, but voicings that spread notes out in successive fifths or fourths(quartal harmony)tend have a certain wandering and ambiguous quality to them.

I just checked out the wiki page on quartal and quintal harmony, it has some decent info I guess. There's a small section there on how it was used in jazz. Check out Herbie's "Maiden Voyage" and Davis' "So What". These were the first noted jazz tunes that used this type of harmony. You can hear it in "Blue in Green" too. Bill Evans(the guy on piano in the Davis tunes) always did some beautifully innovative stuff while he was alive.

edit: Just wanted to add, this is my favorite type of harmony to play with. There's something so mysterious, emotional and almost ancient about it. It's the type of harmony used in Zelda games and a lot of other fantasy JRPGs. It's the type of harmony that was explored and cultivated in France in during the 1800's Impressionist movement, with composers like Debussy, Ravel and Satie. It arms with the freedom to do a lot of visual things with music. It's also the reason why this sounds so badass.


Then how can I quote this?

Posted: 2012-10-25 18:56 Reply | Quote
DalekSam

Avatar

Member for: 5840 days
Location: United Kingdom, Belfast
Status: Offline

#41113
Go through some of his other posts. They've all been blanked (there's a titleless topic of his in Source & Development, all the posts in which have been sausaged).

Posted: 2012-10-25 19:19 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41115
Oh damn, that's a real shame - it's the fami-sausage-virus! Eventually old Famitrackerers get sucked into a chip, never to be seen again.

I hope that's not true.

Posted: 2012-10-25 20:06 Reply | Quote
Im_a_Track_Man

Avatar

Member for: 5698 days
Location: Plantation, Florida
Status: Offline

#41118
It seems there's a killer on the loose in the forums.

_______________________
[BURNING LOVE]
YouTube
Twitter (Stay off my lawn, kids)
Posted: 2012-10-26 01:12 Reply | Quote
jsr
Administrator

Avatar

Member for: 7485 days
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline

#41130
Yeah this is unfortunate, gyms posted lots of interesting info and was very helpful. It was a pleasure to see him here.
I have backups of his posts but I won't restore anything without permission.

There will be changes to the edit function however, as I think being able to do this only does more harm than good.

_______________________
Programmer and developer
Posted: 2012-10-26 03:19 Reply | Quote
Necrophageon

Avatar

Member for: 5526 days
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline

#41136
Au revoir, sir gyms. May you someday return...

_______________________
The only things certain in life are death and uncertainty.
Attachments:
game_over.ftm (7 Kb)
Page 3 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3]