Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > SMB Underground Theme Owner: Karthon New post
Page 3 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3]
Posted: 2012-10-21 00:17  (Last Edited: 2012-10-21 00:17) Reply | Quote
FlashingYoshi



Member for: 5283 days
Location: There
Status: Offline

#40832
Necrophageon wrote:
It sounded more to me like he was refusing to use it because 0.3.x versions aren't forwards-compatible... which makes my brain hurt to think about.

Okay, what does that even mean? Only version not forwards-compatible with the others is the original demo.

jrlepage wrote:
It's not like 0.3.7 would've magically fixed all your problems. :p

It's not that I hate using 0.4.x. It's just that one of my old desktops has 0.3.7, and since I can't run programs that I'm not allowed to (because...) and I convinced the admin to allow FamiTracker, I'm stuck with 0.3.7.

_______________________
I have turned into a sausage.
Posted: 2012-10-21 02:08 Reply | Quote
Necrophageon

Avatar

Member for: 5526 days
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline

#40833
Are we all confused about our terminology or something? I'm getting the feeling there's a communications breakdown, here.

Backward-compatibility is when software/hardware works with data/input generated by older software/hardware.
Example: Using 0.4.1, you can open .ftms generated by 0.3.1+ versions. Therefore 0.4.1 is backwards-compatible with 0.3.1+ files

Forward-compatibility is exactly the opposite of that - when older software/hardware will still work with things generated by newer versions.
Example: 0.3.x versions will not open 0.4.1 generated .ftms, and are therefore not forward-compatible.

You weren't able to open the edit I did because you are using 0.3.7, and it isn't forwards-compatible with 0.4.1 files.

All that being said, I'm sorry if I upset you with my dumb assumption. If it helps - I wasn't being totally serious. I think we all knew there was more to the story, and you've just cleared it up.

Still, you can't expect everyone else to revert back to an older version just because you don't have access to a newer one.

No hard feelings, I hope.

_______________________
The only things certain in life are death and uncertainty.
Posted: 2012-10-21 06:46  (Last Edited: 2012-10-21 06:46) Reply | Quote
Doxic

Avatar

Member for: 5135 days
Location: California, United States
Status: Offline

#40845
Yoshi:
I'm pretty sure once the program is allowed it should stay like that, you can try and download the new version and just see if it runs, also I've been in your boat and I understand :P

_______________________
B00daW wrote: Memes are are like cheese; perishable.
Follow me on SoundCloud! http://soundcloud.com/thislinkisnttaken
Posted: 2012-10-21 06:58  (Last Edited: 2012-10-21 07:00) Reply | Quote
jrlepage
Moderator

Avatar

Member for: 6543 days
Location: Canada
Status: Offline

#40846
FlashingYoshi wrote:
jrlepage wrote:
It's not like 0.3.7 would've magically fixed all your problems. :p

It's not that I hate using 0.4.x. It's just that one of my old desktops has 0.3.7, and since I can't run programs that I'm not allowed to (because...) and I convinced the admin to allow FamiTracker, I'm stuck with 0.3.7.

First, that was directed at gyms, not you. Second, in your situation you could overwrite 0.3.7 with 0.4.1 without a problem, so your argument is either terribly misguided or simply a lie. Third, even if it is true, it doesn't explain your reaction of shock at the idea that other people decide to use 0.4.1.

Besides, it's not like Famitracker is a dangerous program by any stretch of the imagination (unlike some people holding important positions in a school would have you believe).

_______________________
Follow me on Twitter.
I record (some) NSFs on hardware. Feel free to request a hardware render.
Posted: 2012-10-21 20:56 Reply | Quote
Im_a_Track_Man

Avatar

Member for: 5698 days
Location: Plantation, Florida
Status: Offline

#40870
Folowed the advice in that thread, and boom... Now I'm able to use it without problems. (And a club at my school now has me as a regular Chipmusician there).

_______________________
[BURNING LOVE]
YouTube
Twitter (Stay off my lawn, kids)
Posted: 2012-10-26 04:20 Reply | Quote
Necrophageon

Avatar

Member for: 5526 days
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline

#41139
Im_a_Track_Man wrote:
a club at my school now has me as a regular Chipmusician there
That's seriously badass.

_______________________
The only things certain in life are death and uncertainty.
Posted: 2012-10-26 05:53 Reply | Quote
Patashu

Avatar

Member for: 5309 days
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline

#41145
Im_a_Track_Man wrote:
Folowed the advice in that thread, and boom... Now I'm able to use it without problems. (And a club at my school now has me as a regular Chipmusician there).


That's awesome, makes me wish I learned Famitracker years ago while I was still in school

Posted: 2012-10-26 17:38  (Last Edited: 2012-10-26 17:38) Reply | Quote
Im_a_Track_Man

Avatar

Member for: 5698 days
Location: Plantation, Florida
Status: Offline

#41178
Haven't gotten the whole "FamiTracker + LSDj" duet thing down yet, but I really want to do one.

_______________________
[BURNING LOVE]
YouTube
Twitter (Stay off my lawn, kids)
Page 3 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3]