Chipiphany is great, it's no wonder that it won Best Overall.
Chicken Rings- I kinda wonder how this relates to chicken rings, but I still like it.
Haha, thanks very much Bari10.
About the title, yeah, pretty much has nothing to do with Chicken Rings, lol...I'd just had some Chicken Rings from White Castle and they were on my mind, and I did that tune for a One Hour Battle at BotB and needed a title quick. LOL!
That got 2nd place, which I expected (or lower of course), cuz Shnabubula entered the compo Of course he won!
Seriously, how long did it take for you to before this good?
Hey BattleBeard. I appreciate your compliment by the way - I know you meant it as such!
The short answer to your question is: 28 years. My whole life.
The "real" answer is that I've been playing/listening to/being obsessed with music since I was two or three years old.
I was a music performance major in college, and then I got a technical certificate in Recording Engineering/Production.
I do music for a living...but I'm a total n00b at trackers. I've been using FamiTracker (and several other trackers) for about 2 months. The biggest hurdle for me was just making the tracker do what I heard in my head.
It does get easier the more you do it!
A lot of people can manipulate trackers as easy as breathing, but they haven't learned any music theory or arranging skills.
Being able to do both of those things is my goal. So, be encouraged! For the most part, this forum is full of people who will give you honest feedback and constructive criticism. They have helped me a LOT.
Keep tracking, keep your ears open to new sounds, and listen to criticism from NES musicians that you respect. Try to make every tune you create sound better than the last one.
And be patient! It does not happen overnight, but only through lots of practice and experimenting! Try out different stuff in FamiTracker - even if it comes out sounding stupid, you will know what each effect/command does, and you can use them in your tunes later.
If you want to learn more about notes, scales, chords, rhythms, and all that, I highly recommend MusicTheory.net.
If you already know about all this stuff, please forgive me if I've insulted your intelligence. That's not my intention! I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can.
Thanks for the inspiration, master Moot. You're not insulting my intelligence, I've been wanting to learn more about this stuff. And yes, my biggest problem is making the notes in my head appear on the tracker.
_______________________
We will make things change.
I can probably help you out with that; it may make you sound crazy, but... Give it a little whistle!
Sometime, if you have a song in your head, whistle it a few times to yourself until you've memorized it, or just whistle it as you sit in front of the computer. That way, you can compare the note you whistle to the note that you play on the keyboard. That's actually something I do at times.
Of course, when you start off, you won't be used to it instantly; it will take time to figure out what key on the keyboard plays the notes that you whistle. But in time, the more you do, the better you'll be; then you'll know when you've mastered your instrument (in this case, FamiTracker's keyboard layout).
It actually took me quite a bit of practice before I became what I am (& I still concede that I'm a novice at music). I played piano since the age of 7 & played the electric bass guitar in high school; I've stopped music altogether in 2003 & only started with FamiTracker in the end of 2009 (& this is the only tracker I've ever used).
Just remember; there's music in all of us. The hardest part is learning how to let it out as you intend it to.
_______________________
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!
BattleBeard: It's all about training and keeping at it. Listen to some of my first entrys here (worst things ever and I was totally oblivious to why). My parents made me play violin at the age of 12 and I hated it. For a long time there I despised music. But then, I found funk, learned to play guitar and at the same time I began making chiptunes in Nerdtracker and later famitracker. For about six years I've made music and I still consider my self sucking. Though, now I enjoy it and see it as a challenge. So just keep at it and in 10 years time you'll be bigger than Anamanaguchi... or maybe not
Moot: Dude, funky as shit! I can really hear some sonic 3 in the music. Great stuff :D
Hands down, moot, this is the best song you ever made that I've heard thus far.
I swear, I'm in love with the Sawtooth and the DPCM. But I gotta say that I began to hum along with the groove at Frame 14. Just pure catchyness!
Awesome job, and I look forward to more of your badassness in the future.
XERO, that's cool of you to say. I appreciate it man.
I think it's definitely the best thing I've made in FamiTracker, by a long shot. Since you're referencing frames, I assume you've been checking out the FTM. Have you heard the whole piece put together?
It's a whole nother animal with both VRC6s kicked in, and fat drums, and effects, and leads over the top.
I did try to make the FTM sound decent on its own though. I know now that it gets weird on the loop cuz I didn't terminate a 2xx command.
Oh well. I wasn't paying too much attention to that at the time, as I said before.
I'm working on some stuff, just nothing ready to show yet, but I gotta keep practicing and working on stuff to try to top this!
I've set a bar for myself I guess, lol.