Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > Am I talented yet? Owner: kinkinkijkin New Post(Locked)
Page 2 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3] Next >>
Posted: 2011-09-01 05:14 Reply(Locked)
yucca70

Avatar

Member for: 5682 days
Location: United States, PA
Status: Offline

#22618
you shouldn't care about if people think you're talented!

_______________________
Day 1147
I've read up on all of my old forum posts, and I can not tell you all how grateful I am to have had your support and feedback in the past
Thanks everyone! Keep on composing :D
~Yuccatosis
Posted: 2011-09-01 07:28  (Last Edited: 2011-09-01 07:29) Reply(Locked)
cak

Avatar

Member for: 5875 days
Location: oregon
Status: Offline

#22627
Repeat frame 01, and fade/cut the ringing notes at end...instant improvement.

Still feels a little dull because all progressions start on C and because the layout is sorta blocky (4 bar intro, 4 bar progression, 4 bar progression). Need to spice it up a little.

Honestly I think you have potential...you just need to break away from certain ways of thinking. Don't be afraid to try something different.

_______________________
Famicom tunes
Attachments:
how_about_now.ftm (19 Kb)
Posted: 2011-09-01 08:54  (Last Edited: 2011-09-01 08:58) Reply(Locked)
kinkinkijkin

Avatar

Member for: 5928 days
Location: Not where my face is
Status: Offline

#22628
Fixed some things, cak.

Doubling the amount of times a beginning frame happens tends to reduce quality by adding repetitiveness. Also, changed last frame's SQ1 to pattern 01.

EDIT: Yucca, it's the whole point of me posting here lol. I want feedback, so I ask a direct question and an indirect one, and all feedback is at least mostly useful instantly.


Attachments:
how_about_now_.ftm (9 Kb)
Posted: 2011-09-01 10:21  (Last Edited: 2011-09-01 10:35) Reply(Locked)
jrlepage
Moderator

Avatar

Member for: 6544 days
Location: Canada
Status: Offline

#22629
kinkinkijkin wrote:
Give it to me straight, tell me what I need improving on.

like everyone wrote:
Use less expansions and work on your melodies.

kinkinkijkin wrote:
Hey, I use expansions because they add... something. Really, why listen to a 20A3 tune that sounds like it was made to sound bigger when you can make a song with an expansion that sounds like it was made to be smaller?

Also, no need to keep pointing out the melody thing. I get it already. I need some help with melodies. But I think up these awesome melodies and am only able to put down the underlaying part of the song, ever. The melody comes out sounded horrid, so I go with the next best one I can think of, which also comes pretty bad, but not AS bad.


This.

EDIT: Before you once again accuse me of jumping at you at the first occasion, I'd like to go on record by saying my point here is you created this thread with the intention of asking people for advice. Therefore, getting defensive when 2-3 members point out specific things you should or shouldn't do probably isn't the best course of action. It's wasting these members' time at best, and cluttering the board at worst. A proper reaction would be something like "yes, I know about having to work on my melodies, thanks for mentioning it." Certainly not "YES I KNOW STOP MENTIONING IT ALREADY D:<".

I'd also like to say talent is - at least in my point of view - something you either have, or don't have. You don't 'acquire' talent. So asking if you're talented *yet* is somewhat nonsensical in my book. You can develop it, you can exploit it yes, but you don't acquire it. In all honesty, I'd say you're probably talented in a plethora of things that aren't music-related, but that's merely one man's opinion of course.

Posted: 2011-09-01 10:51 Reply(Locked)
cak

Avatar

Member for: 5875 days
Location: oregon
Status: Offline

#22630
[quote]Doubling the amount of times a beginning frame happens tends to reduce quality by adding repetitiveness.[/quote]
It's not just repetition, it's theme development. You give the listener a chance to absorb what they're hearing by playing it 2 or more consecutive times. It doesn't have to be the exact same thing...you can change the melody or progression slightly so it isn't repetitious.

_______________________
Famicom tunes
Posted: 2011-09-01 18:13 Reply(Locked)
gyms



Member for: 5745 days
Status: Offline

#22642
kinkinkijkin, you should try writing non NES music. Get comfortable writing music with more definable instruments in mind.

Posted: 2011-09-01 18:32 Reply(Locked)
nintendude8

Avatar

Member for: 6034 days
Location: me mums car
Status: Offline

#22643
psn wrote:
If you want to improve, I suggest that you try writing some more songs using standard 2A03.

i recommend this.
limitations usually make me perform better.

Posted: 2011-09-01 20:35 Reply(Locked)
kinkinkijkin

Avatar

Member for: 5928 days
Location: Not where my face is
Status: Offline

#22645
I've been trying to follow the advice in the background, song fails epicly, not posting it.

And, gyms, I have somewhere around 20 different trackers on my computer, including deflemask, MIDITracker and VGMMaker. I'm deep in the all over(?tahw).

Nintendude, I try 2A03 songs quite often, they just suck to the level of raping your ears. And I therefore do not post them.

jrlepage, it's just that you over-exaggerate what I say. Like you just did. I never once said I haven't been trying to follow the advice, I never caps'ed anything and added an angry smiley to the end (i think, it was late when i made most of the posts) and I never once said I thought you acquire talent.

cak, if you added may be a little change to the first frame when it is repeated, the explained effect has quite a higher chance of being there, but I tend to stay away from trying for reasons of I never do it right when I try, and yes I have tried it. I'm not saying it's a bad effect, just a little harder to pull off properly without repetitiveness than, say looping a song properly, which is around where I'm at, according to what everyone is saying right now.

jrlepage, gonna jump on this post? Go ahead, I have a feeling I'm just gonna unlink FT from my contest on POM.net and quit the community soon.

Posted: 2011-09-01 21:45 Reply(Locked)
danooct1

Avatar

Member for: 6413 days
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline

#22649
kinkinkijkin wrote:
jrlepage, gonna jump on this post? Go ahead, I have a feeling I'm just gonna unlink FT from my contest on POM.net and quit the community soon.


do you promise?

_______________________
NO LONGER BREAKIN THE LAW
Posted: 2011-09-01 22:01  (Last Edited: 2011-09-01 23:47) Reply(Locked)
kinkinkijkin

Avatar

Member for: 5928 days
Location: Not where my face is
Status: Offline

#22653
^fornicating rectum

Post moderated.

Posted: 2011-09-01 22:11 Reply(Locked)
gyms



Member for: 5745 days
Status: Offline

#22654
0_O

Posted: 2011-09-01 22:26 Reply(Locked)
danooct1

Avatar

Member for: 6413 days
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline

#22655
it's not every day I get my hopes up like this please don't let me down kinkinkijkin

_______________________
NO LONGER BREAKIN THE LAW
Posted: 2011-09-02 01:32  (Last Edited: 2011-09-02 01:32) Reply(Locked)
InterrobangPie

Avatar

Member for: 5760 days
Location: England
Status: Offline

#22662
You're one sneaky devil, Sir Daniel O. Oct I

_______________________
iGotno_scope wrote:
im going to continue making this crazy stuff then after a while my style will be so sick that you will be like damn suuun that shit is so sick i dont even get it. i will be like bro its ok.. you dont have to.
Posted: 2011-09-02 05:18 Reply(Locked)
sacredfire059

Avatar

Member for: 5700 days
Status: Offline

#22664
Would I be seen as a dick if I came out and said that, after watching his various shenanigans, I'm somewhat glad he's left? It's a shame to lose a FT artist, but at the same time... He's an ass.

Posted: 2011-09-02 05:34 Reply(Locked)
TechEmporium

Avatar

Member for: 6047 days
Status: Offline

#22666
Well, here we go; proof that there's an absolute link between talent, technique & the mind. All that kinkinkijkin needed to do was learn from different techniques in volume & effect control; all that happened was a flame war.

But trust me; I've heard much worse than kinkinkijkin's music (at least his demonstrated some improvement when compared to GlidingSoul's).

_______________________
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!

(Lousy modern technology! )
Page 2 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3] Next >>