Let me remind you all about the forum guidelines:
1. Be polite. No flaming or harassing of other members.
c.) Before posting a reply, think "Is what I'm about to post helpful in any way?" If not, then don't post.
SRES, I was impressed by your technique. The drumming was cool, especially the toms. I felt like it could use some improvement in the bassline. Some notes in the harmony sounded a little off to me, for example frame 11 hex/frame 17 decimal. What version of this song was this based on? The Sega Genesis/Megadrive version?
edit: Sounds very close to the SNES version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX3fjpkFwk . Sorry for critiquing the bassline - it sounds the same as the original (I still don't like the bassline)!.
Here's my take on Simon's Theme. I never showed this to anybody because I couldn't get it to sound as good as I wanted.
If my "argument" is moot, tell that to the one who said it looked like the result of the NSF importer from earlier,
Don't drag me into this (oh look, you did, whatever i want to comment anyway). I said it "sorta" looked like an NSF import, I mentioned that none of it was from an NES game anyway, and I do indeed respect 900BPM covers, I was just pointing out that AT FIRST GLANCE it looked like an .nsf import. And don't assume that you've got a more 'trained eye' than mine. If you want to go by experience, I've been a member here for over two weeks more than you, and I'd been working with FamiTracker since at least a few months prior. I'd say my eye is more 'trained' than yours, in that respect, but I'm not going to call you out on it because I don't have a batshit superiority complex like the apparent majority of this forum seems to have.
Now, since this is a thread in Show Your Work and not "let's bitch about things to make ourselves look better," maybe we could get back to critiquing and commenting on this guy's work?
My bad dood. I was just giving an example, not really intending someone says anything negative towards you I guess. Either way, I'm done. jrlepage said something unnecessary about me (and I still don't get why) and I just wanted to return the favor. Even if anyone decides to reply back to me, I'm not saying anything else in this thread.
I would officially love to see more Castlevania music covered by SRES. Maybe some of the GBA stuff, or more from SotN. You've got some skill, dude. Put it to good use!
Very nice. Just out of curiosity, would you mind trying your hand at Prologue from SOTN? One of my favourite tracks in the game, it would be cool to see it in this style.
SRES: These covers are really great, but there are two flaws in them:
1: In Simon's Theme, closed hats interrupt open hats. The only thing that can interrupt a open hat is another open hat or a noise snare.
2: The open hats are a bit wrong. Volume is right, but the pitch progression in the open hats are just a tiny bit wrong. The correct sequence should be: DE---FEFEFE.
Other than that, they are very accurate! Great work!
1: In Simon's Theme, closed hats interrupt open hats. The only thing that can interrupt a open hat is another open hat or a noise snare.
I don't understand. Why shouldn't a closed hat interrupt an open one? Isn't that how it happens on a real drum? General MIDI stops open hats when a closed hat sound is played, at any rate.
jrlepage: The open hats in CV3 can't be interrupted by closed hats because of the style of the game music. I don't say it is not possible, but it isn't right for the CV3 style.