Nice tune, a lot more impressive than my first attempts with famitracker
I love the E7-9 sound near the end, though I think the G#s could have been a little more prominent (i.e. not just in the bass) to create a stronger need for a repeat.
I was sort of expecting something like this to happen during frames 2-3, same melody with a different chord.
Oh! I couldn't understand why you guys were commenting on the 7/8 thing when I hadn't posted it yet. I completely forgot that I updated the NSF file in my dropbox folder last night... XD
That tune is just a germ of an idea...I'm going to actually finish it tonight!
@Mhmm- Interesting changes! That's not at all what I would have done, but it does sound more classic nes that way! I was trying to emulate the ostinato-based style of Fela Kuti (hence the name). Thanks btw!
@cak - thanks for the nice comments, and for the VirtuaNSF settings. I'm gonna look into that today. And yeah, I'm a fan of Magma! Nice to know there's someone else about that recognized that logo.
@XERO- that's cool of you to say. I agree, to me it's more about memorable melodies/progressions/grooves than ultra-complex stuff. If I can ever match the quality of Solstice, Silver Surfer, or Rollergames soundtracks, I'll be satisfied with my nes composition skills
@kinkinkijkin- Cirno - is that a touhou thing? I'm vaguely familiar. That's funny.
I have a new tune that I think is pretty legit...check it out!
It's the 3rd song in the .NSF, and I'll attach the .ftm as well.
I was experimenting with passing around notes between the 2 nes square channels and the 2 VRC6 square channels, for a smooth polyphonic effect, and then rotating echo through the 4 channels in reverse order. Sounds cool in stereo!
Then, I did a big PWM-sounding harmonized lead via VRC6.
Let me know what you think!
Thanks a lot guys!
The hardest part to get right was the volume levels, so, glad to hear it's working!
Any ideas on a good way to continue the tune? I wanted to have a looping section in there, but couldn't really figure out a good way to bring it back. It's pretty short for 4 hours of work!
Thanks a lot guys!
The hardest part to get right was the volume levels, so, glad to hear it's working!
Any ideas on a good way to continue the tune? I wanted to have a looping section in there, but couldn't really figure out a good way to bring it back. It's pretty short for 4 hours of work!
If you don't mind, I added a little something to it. Hope it's what you were expecting. Let me know how it is.
If you don't mind, I added a little something to it. Hope it's what you were expecting. Let me know how it is.
I love the return of the initial theme near the end, really helps round things out. Not my tune though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Moot, that lead at 0A is amazing. You have a good ear for effects my friend. The tune as a whole reminds me of Megaman, as awesome nes compositions often do
@kinkinkijkin - I have no idea what you're talking about! Unless you're making a funny joke on the fact that instrument 10 is called "dong"!
@Mex - Thanks thanks thanks!!!
@XERO - Holy crap that came out of nowhere! It's pretty cool ideas in there, and definitely not something I would have done. I don't mind you doing that tho, it's fun to hear variations and different directions! It's inspiring.
@Mhmm - Thanks very kindly. I was definitely trying to do a Mega Man-style thing with that one! Also, just doing some good ol' Moog-ish Lucky Man type o' thing.
Thank you guys again for the support and feedback. This is proving to be a great forum.
@XERO - Holy crap that came out of nowhere! It's pretty cool ideas in there, and definitely not something I would have done. I don't mind you doing that tho, it's fun to hear variations and different directions! It's inspiring.
Haha, thanks, moot. It's pretty much what I do sometimes. All of a sudden, I just have all these ideas cramming up.
It was how I was able to make my own Mega Man soundtrack.