Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > Rainbow Islands Version (FINISHED)* Owner: Naff_Natty New post
Page 1 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: [1] [2] [3] Next >>
Rainbow Islands Version (FINISHED)* Posted: 2012-10-30 23:45  (Last Edited: 2012-11-09 17:34) Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41372
So, this is my first NES cover, and certainly my first from an NSF. Being me though, I thought I'd take the original soundtrack, which only consists of about two or three channels per tune, and expand on it in a way I would like in N163.

It's not finished yet, but it's getting there. I posted it as a way-marker, because I have a lot to do and today has just disappeared on this tune!

I decided the Fami-forum could do with a splash of colour by the way, in case you're wondering...

... plus it's Rainbow islands innit?

PS, if you're aware of the original game and you're listening from the US you might be confused: you got a different, altogether rubbish theme. Probably something to with copyright of "somewhere over the rainbow".

*EDIT: finished FTM is posted on page 2*



_______________________
ERROR 404: signature not found.
Attachments:
rainbow_islands_version.ftm (69 Kb)
RE: Rainbow Islands Version Posted: 2012-10-30 23:59 Reply | Quote
robro

Avatar

Member for: 5167 days
Status: Offline

#41377
This is cool. And now that I know about the color tag, I gotta do this...


ECHO!

ECHO!

ECHO!

ECHO!

ECHO!

RE: Rainbow Islands Version Posted: 2012-10-31 00:02 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41379
robro wrote:
This is cool. And now that I know about the color tag, I gotta do this...


ECHO!

ECHO!

ECHO!

ECHO!

ECHO!


Crapola man, you know the colours by hash numbers....!

_______________________
ERROR 404: signature not found.
Posted: 2012-10-31 00:12  (Last Edited: 2012-10-31 00:13) Reply | Quote
robro

Avatar

Member for: 5167 days
Status: Offline

#41381
It's pretty simple. Every color is a combination of red, green, and blue (RGB) and each color component is a 2-digit hex value, so from 00 to ff (that's 256 levels of gradation each).

ff0000 is red

00ff00 is green

0000ff is blue

ffff00 is yellow

ff00ff is magenta

00ffff is cyan

ffffff is white

000000 is black

etc.

p.s. I'm a visual artist who uses Photoshop a lot

Posted: 2012-10-31 00:16 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41384
Well that's quite impressive.

robro wrote:
I'm a visual artist who uses Photoshop a lot


You are aware that I sincerely have you in the back of my mind as that Kiwi from Flight of the Conchords?



_______________________
ERROR 404: signature not found.
Posted: 2012-10-31 00:26 Reply | Quote
robro

Avatar

Member for: 5167 days
Status: Offline

#41385
They call me the Hiphopopotamus, my rhymes are bottomless...

...

Posted: 2012-10-31 01:30 Reply | Quote
Patashu

Avatar

Member for: 5309 days
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline

#41388
This is a pretty sweet style. Headbobbin'.

In frames like 03, how come you can get away with changing the pitches in Namco 3 and Namco 4 almost constantly? Is it following a chord progression I don't see? (The answer's probably really obvious, just trying to expand my musical knowledge.)

Posted: 2012-10-31 01:44 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41391
RED...

GREEN...

BLUE...


I think I'm getting the hang of it...

Patashu wrote:
This is a pretty sweet style. Headbobbin'.

In frames like 03, how come you can get away with changing the pitches in Namco 3 and Namco 4 almost constantly? Is it following a chord progression I don't see? (The answer's probably really obvious, just trying to expand my musical knowledge.)


Thanks Patashu.

If I remember rightly I'm using potentially 3-note chords, but obviously only two of them at once. Picking another note from that chord, or using a variant chord in its place creates an element of surprise, which in turn makes it more bouncy - it goes from high to low to here to there. The function of the upbeat in reggae is more percussive than melodic, even though it's played with melodic instruments. It's used to make you bounce.

_______________________
ERROR 404: signature not found.
Posted: 2012-10-31 01:47  (Last Edited: 2012-10-31 01:51) Reply | Quote
Patashu

Avatar

Member for: 5309 days
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline

#41392
Naff_Natty wrote:

If I remember rightly I'm using potentially 3-note chords, but obviously only two of them at once. Picking another note from that chord, or using a variant chord in its place creates an element of surprise, which in turn makes it more bouncy - it goes from high to low to here to there. The function of the upbeat in reggae is more percussive than melodic, even though it's played with melodic instruments. It's used to make you bounce.


Ok, I think I get it. And it definitely works

rreedd

EDIT: Another thing I like about this song is that it has no unintended gaps in the music. The lead and reggae chords have enough reverb that they bridge from note to note.

Posted: 2012-10-31 02:55 Reply | Quote
MovieMovies1

Avatar

Member for: 5934 days
Location: Norway
Status: Offline

#41402
This is nice....

Posted: 2012-10-31 04:11 Reply | Quote
rainwarrior

Avatar

Member for: 5710 days
Location: Canada
Status: Offline

#41409
Cool.

Posted: 2012-10-31 17:14  (Last Edited: 2012-10-31 17:53) Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41452
Did anyone work out what the hell I did in frame 10 by the way? I think I put a speed 7 rhythm into speed 6, but by the time I'd started to get an inkling of where I was going wrong I was already sufficiently into it to decide to power through.

Schoolboy error working from imported speed 1 for the first time. The rest of the bloody soundtrack's in speed 6!

Taught me quite a bit in the end I guess.


_______________________
ERROR 404: signature not found.
RE: Rainbow Islands Version Posted: 2012-10-31 17:56  (Last Edited: 2012-10-31 18:14) Reply | Quote
Mr_Master



Member for: 5081 days
Status: Offline

#41454
Naff_Natty wrote:
PS, if you're aware of the original game and you're listening from the US you might be confused: you got a different, altogether rubbish theme. Probably something to with copyright of "somewhere over the rainbow".



Well, I'm not listening from the US, but I know that song you are referring to. They are somewhat similar, but Rainbow Islands is definitely better. I wasn't aware about that game, nor its soundtrack, but I have now listened to that song, and the version you made is awesome. It really sounds cool, even with the N163 expansion and 6 channels enabled. I can't hear any hi-pitched hiss.

And about the colors thing, here is my colored post.


EDIT: I forgot to tell you that you made a great work with this song. It's really catchy.

EDIT2:
RAINBOW ISLANDS

RE: Rainbow Islands Version Posted: 2012-10-31 23:24 Reply | Quote
Naff_Natty

Avatar

Member for: 5288 days
Location: Behind you
Status: Offline

#41482
Thanks Mr Master sir.

Mr_Master wrote:
RAINBOW ISLANDS


I really like this.

+ invisible words that no one can see if unless they quote me

_______________________
ERROR 404: signature not found.
Posted: 2012-11-01 00:46 Reply | Quote
Doxic

Avatar

Member for: 5135 days
Location: California, United States
Status: Offline

#41488
I'm going to be professional and not muck with colors, with that out of the way, I like the speed change in frame 10, and this song has some very nice rag rhythm in it, so you have my approval

I really dig this

_______________________
B00daW wrote: Memes are are like cheese; perishable.
Follow me on SoundCloud! http://soundcloud.com/thislinkisnttaken
Page 1 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: [1] [2] [3] Next >>