Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > just covered my first 2 songs Owner: Wingman626 New post
Page 2 of 2 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2]
Posted: 2011-10-12 20:20 Reply | Quote
rainwarrior

Avatar

Member for: 5712 days
Location: Canada
Status: Offline

#24197
Just to clear up the terminology, "sweep" refers to the pitch sweep unit (Hxx/Ixx). We are just talking about the envelope unit.

There is a difference in this example, but you should understand that this specific example is the most difference it can make. It's the envelope operating at its fastest, n=1. At n=2 the difference would be half as noticeable, at n=3 one quarter as noticeable, at n=4 there is no difference, and for n>4 it's negligible. It would really only be useful to make this one specific fade timing. Slower fades are already covered extremely well by volume macros and A0x.

The primary limitation in making smooth fades on the NES is in only having 16 steps of volume, not one of temporal resolution.

Posted: 2011-10-12 20:56  (Last Edited: 2011-10-12 20:58) Reply | Quote
Wingman626

Avatar

Member for: 5479 days
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Status: Offline

#24198
jrlepage wrote:
I spotted one wrong note in your Metroid cover though - was it the one you changed? Also, some Pxx events are missing to make the cover 100% accurate. You said it was from danooct1's tutorial and you modified it? That makes it not technically your cover, doesn't it? Unless I'm mistaken somehow... (which I could be - it's 7.23 AM and I haven't slept since yesterday afternoon, heh).

I'm not familiar with the reference for your other cover, but I like what you've done, it sounds quite nice. Makes for quite a welcome change from the material we've been getting lately. :>

EDIT:
Quote:
when i finished covering it i found out that my version was almost exactly like Icesoldier's (and sounded a lot better) so i copied a few notes from him and i tried to make it sound like the original as posible

I don't fully understand this. Did you start out with IceSoldier's FTM and then modify it? The FTM info seems to suggest this, at any rate... Also did you mean yours "sounded a lot better" or his did?

EDIT2:
I managed to dig up IceSoldier's version, and it does look like you 'copied' quite a bit of material from his version, especially in the second portion. :\


i started out with my own version of the chrono trigger song and when i saw icesoldiers version when i finished mine his sounded alot better so i changed some stuff around to match his but it wasnt a 100% match.

metroid kraids theem was from danooct1 i didnt modify it i only changed one note which was 0B one the first frame.

_______________________
how i spend most of my evenings...
Posted: 2011-10-12 21:16  (Last Edited: 2011-10-12 21:19) Reply | Quote
Wingman626

Avatar

Member for: 5479 days
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Status: Offline

#24200
psn wrote:
So basically this guy has taken nicetas' and Icesoldier's FTMs and made changes.

I hesitate to call them 'improvements' because he's mainly just removed things from them (notes, SFX etc.) and, quite frankly, they sound worse for it.


i see what you mean there

i guess i kinda went to far to call them my own

but i didn't say "i did Metroid all by myself" i just went through it while watching danooct1's tutorial and the Chrono trigger one i just modified from my version which basically ended up being almost completely the same to ice soldier's.....

well its my first time using famitracker so i apologize if i kinda got off the wrong foot with you guys

_______________________
how i spend most of my evenings...
Posted: 2011-10-12 21:30  (Last Edited: 2011-10-12 21:32) Reply | Quote
Im_a_Track_Man

Avatar

Member for: 5700 days
Location: Plantation, Florida
Status: Offline

#24202
Ever since Nicetas_c's metroid, and NSF import, successful covers have gotten pushed aside and labeled as "fakes" because of their accuracy. I believe I'm really lucky, because (wierdly) Nicetas posted SECONDS before I made my first post, so no chance.


EDIT:

Jan. 17 (or 14th) 2011 - the day I discovered the greatest NES tracker in existence.

Feb. 23 2011 - the day I discovered this place.

_______________________
[BURNING LOVE]
YouTube
Twitter (Stay off my lawn, kids)
Posted: 2011-10-12 21:39 Reply | Quote
rainwarrior

Avatar

Member for: 5712 days
Location: Canada
Status: Offline

#24203
Wingman, I was actually interested in hearing a new take on covering the sewer music, so it was a little bit disappointing that you borrowed so much from Icesoldier's.

Kraid is always going to come out Kraid, if you're trying to be accurate. Nicetas_c wasn't the first to cover it, nor the last (though his really is the most accurate), and you obviously didn't base yours on it.

Keep at it.

Posted: 2011-10-12 21:47  (Last Edited: 2011-10-12 21:53) Reply | Quote
Wingman626

Avatar

Member for: 5479 days
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Status: Offline

#24204
rainwarrior wrote:
Wingman, I was actually interested in hearing a new take on covering the sewer music, so it was a little bit disappointing that you borrowed so much from Icesoldier's.

Kraid is always going to come out Kraid, if you're trying to be accurate. Nicetas_c wasn't the first to cover it, nor the last (though his really is the most accurate), and you obviously didn't base yours on it.

Keep at it.


i know, i kinda borrowed alot from icesoldiers version

and for the metroid kraids theme, it was the first cover i ever worked on. it was an acomplishment to me so when i heard the end result i really felt like i deserved a cookie

still its great to hear other people's opinions, helps you learn from your mistakes

_______________________
how i spend most of my evenings...
Page 2 of 2 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2]