And alas, while I don't want to sound like some sort of ass or anything, your cover sounds pretty much nothing at all like the original song, C-major or not. And it's not just the note timing, it's the entire thing itself. The majority of your note progressions are completely different, and bare no resemblance to the original at all.
You say this is how the midi you're working off of sounds? Would you mind linking us to that? Again, I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but if this is how the midi you're using sounds, then that might be the beginning of your problems. Cause whoever made that midi was not listening to the same song at all.
If you need a better midi to work off of, I'd suggest this guy right here: http://vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/mmx6_sigmafinal.mid
Listening to that one, it appears to be pretty much spot on as far as I can tell, in both notes and timing.
hm, You seem to have forgotten the rest of my post pie...
no, I am not kidding you. I doubt many people would really want to continue showing their work when they first start off tracking so they can improve themselves if every second person tells them over and over how shitty they sound.
Bomono seems to understand effects and volume control. He is simply a beginner, and I would never expect someone who indicates that they have no experience at all to show us something absolutely amazing and mindblowing.
I certainly do think this is mediocre in comparison to the actual song, and it does not sound very much like anything from the mega man X6 ost at all, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be an ass about it. This is an improvement from some of his earlier tracks IMO.
It takes time to be able to cover something accurately, especially anything like what bomono attempted here.
You say this is how the midi you're working off of sounds? Would you mind linking us to that? Again, I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but if this is how the midi you're using sounds, then that might be the beginning of your problems. Cause whoever made that midi was not listening to the same song at all.
It occured to me that perhaps the MIDI he was using was ripped directly from the game using a program rather than being transcribed by hand. I've encountered incidents of ripped MIDIs being wildly out of key (mainly when using gba2mid, although I'm sure this could be an issue with other, similar programs). As for the issues with note placement, I imagine he made that mistake himself rather than it being the fault of the MIDI. It's a pretty easy mistake to make when working at 900BPM.
That said, he still probably should have noticed that it was out of key when he was remaking it in FT.