Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > Pokey Means Business (VRC6) Owner: danooct1 New post
Page 2 of 2 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2]
Posted: 2011-07-27 11:54 Reply | Quote
furrykef

Avatar

Member for: 6750 days
Status: Offline

#20594
The chip tune part of the song is perfect.

But I have to admit I don't care for the grunge/metal/hard rock/whatever it is part either... I think it'd sound better if it were happy with staying a chip tune instead of trying to imitate a real guitar. The snare is also completely unconvincing and I'd rather sacrifice the double-bass drum (though you could also just create bass drum+snare samples) than try to have the noise channel try to do the snare. That would also free up the noise channel to do the hi hat, which is also an important part. I'd argue that the thundering snare is a much more important part of the song than the actual guitar sound. It's what makes it sound almost like a real band (well, as far as SNES music goes).

It could also be done fine with pure 2A03. I don't like the use of expansion chips except when a song is utterly impossible without them... feels too much like cheating otherwise. The NES I grew up with didn't have expansion sound chips.


Posted: 2011-07-27 12:19  (Last Edited: 2012-10-25 07:56) Reply | Quote
gyms



Member for: 5744 days
Status: Offline

#20595


Posted: 2011-07-27 15:18 Reply | Quote
Eletious

Avatar

Member for: 5556 days
Location: Columbus, OH.
Status: Offline

#20602
I wonder if dan could ridicule raijin any harder...?

Anyways, this is good stuff.

_______________________
Famitracker: the perfect combination of sound and computer geeks.
Posted: 2011-07-28 13:48 Reply | Quote
psn

Avatar

Member for: 5882 days
Location: England
Status: Offline

#20655
Nice edits, gyms. I like the added punch you gave the 2a03 guitar, although I think the echo section in Frame 15 sounds a little bit wierd as a result.

Posted: 2011-07-28 16:31 Reply | Quote
tdude10

Avatar

Member for: 5846 days
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Status: Offline

#20661
well, I listen to heavy metal (The stuff youthink is going to melt your brain off) all the time, so I like it. I honestly think it's good.

Posted: 2011-07-28 22:44 Reply | Quote
Mex

Avatar

Member for: 6203 days
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Status: Offline

#20672
oh god gyms

boners everywhere

Page 2 of 2 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2]