Login:
Menu:
Post: Author:
FamiTracker > General > Show Off Your Work > Halloween Theme Remix Owner: yucca70 New post
Page 3 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3]
Posted: 2011-07-04 00:54 Reply | Quote
Xyz_39808

Avatar

Member for: 5740 days
Location: South Texas
Status: Offline

#19389
I'd be butthurt too if !? had a giant sig out against me.


That said, my qualm against ya is that I agree with jrlepage. If you're willing to submit this cover of the theme from Halloween that's in the wrong mode, then it seems it wasn't horrible to your own ears. And if you can't pick up on that, then it seems like your musician's ear is very poorly developed, if non-existent. It honestly sounds like this just isn't a hobby that you're suited for.

And I'm very puzzled as to your enthusiasm for this when it seems you lack any of the necessary skills. And I don't mean with just famitracker. It just sounds like even with any kind of music making you wouldn't make a good candidate.

There's no replacement for talent that comes naturally. There's also no replacement for the hard work that goes into gaining those skills. I'm just letting you know that your skills are severely on the lacking side and if you honestly want to gain those skills, judging by your current learning curve, it'll take years of keeping at this before you'll even reach a mediocre level. So you better have some real hard-ass dedication to this if you want to reach a comfortable level of skill in music making.

There are those who come here and are decent music composers/writers, but just crappy with famitracker. To them, I'd say go for the doing covers route. But for one whose problem seems to be musicianship itself, my advice is to learn an instrument, write for stuff on the piano/instrument of choice. Famitracker itself can be a good replacement for not having a piano to compose with. If you're composition gets good, I think it'd be good enough idea to submit 'em here so people like me can make edits to your .ftms to improve the tracker's quality of your compositional ideas.

My handful of pennies greater than 2 cents.

Posted: 2011-07-04 00:59  (Last Edited: 2011-07-05 05:54) Reply | Quote
TechEmporium

Avatar

Member for: 6045 days
Status: Offline

#19390
yucca70 wrote:
So, Tech told me (not blaming him)that even a cover that wasn't so accurate could help me in some way.


yucca70; I understand your frustration, but are you serious that you DON'T know why I told you to cover an existing song?

A cover is a complete replica of an existing song (accurate or otherwise). The more accurate, the better. I told you to do this so that you can learn from the styles & techniques of others. A remix is when you take an original/cover & insert your own music/beats with it.

Now, as a novice, you do have an understanding of how to write notes into a track & maintain a good time signature. What you're missing is a properly-defined style with actual techniques to set mood into your songs. Your Halloween remix was, as I see it, less of a cover & more of a jump into your own style without trying to establish better knowledge of your own style (& if you do, expect your style to gradually develop over an unknown length of time that I can't fathom).

If you at least did a cover of the song, you'd have learned how to compose in a minor key & how to set a more "horror-like" mood for the audience. Either way, you shouldn't feel frustrated; just learn from what was done wrong & try to improve. The only way to do this is to not jump into your own style right away, but to instead learn from other styles before you do your own thing. And if you do, indeed, feel like you're not cut out for music, the choice is yours; I'm not advising any course of action.

Just remember... Learning anything new is like learning to ride a bike; if you're still on a tricycle, don't expect to be able to ride a unicycle right away. This applies to everyone who wants to try anything that's new to them.

_______________________
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!

(Lousy modern technology! )
Posted: 2011-07-14 07:44 Reply | Quote
8BitItalianS

Avatar

Member for: 5681 days
Location: Nowhere Ville
Status: Offline

#19935
InterrobangPie wrote:
are you a bad enough dude to emulate yucca70

edit: may as well upload my other perfect emulation of yucca70 original style

That scares me how accurate it it.

Posted: 2011-07-14 16:04  (Last Edited: 2011-07-14 16:24) Reply | Quote
Fezuke

Avatar

Member for: 5564 days
Location: Le Gardeur, Quebec
Status: Offline

#19937
Oh Yucca! I know how you feel. The first time I posted here, which was a long time ago, I had done a cover of a song and couldn't wait to upload it thinking "Damn this sounds pretty damn good!' To my surprise it was FULL of mistakes and I felt like a complete no0b. This forum is pretty harsh on no0bs that don't know where they're going. I dissapeared for about 5 months practicing like crazy and downloading ALL the FTM's on this site and just analyzing EVERYTHING possible. I must say that practice paid off. I spend countless hours on Famitracker now.

_______________________
My 8-Bit Soundcloud
My Other Project Soundcloud
Posted: 2011-07-14 17:38 Reply | Quote
InterrobangPie

Avatar

Member for: 5758 days
Location: England
Status: Offline

#19939
Xyz_39808 wrote:
I'd be butthurt too if !? had a giant sig out against me.

Xyz_39808 wrote:
against

lol

_______________________
iGotno_scope wrote:
im going to continue making this crazy stuff then after a while my style will be so sick that you will be like damn suuun that shit is so sick i dont even get it. i will be like bro its ok.. you dont have to.
Posted: 2011-08-15 03:00 Reply | Quote
rainwarrior

Avatar

Member for: 5709 days
Location: Canada
Status: Offline

#21650
How did this thread turn grey again?

Posted: 2011-08-15 06:03 Reply | Quote
yucca70

Avatar

Member for: 5680 days
Location: United States, PA
Status: Offline

#21653
I updated a post

_______________________
Day 1147
I've read up on all of my old forum posts, and I can not tell you all how grateful I am to have had your support and feedback in the past
Thanks everyone! Keep on composing :D
~Yuccatosis
Posted: 2011-08-15 18:52 Reply | Quote
Cheez



Member for: 7457 days
Status: Offline

#21683
Keep rockin' those sharps and flats


B)

Page 3 of 3 Sort: Goto Page: << Previous [1] [2] [3]