Okay. Good luck with your future work then. I'm looking forward to see these FTMs finished.
Congratulations on Quick man. Being able to get an almost 100% accurate cover by ear must be really hard(although I'm talking about the old one). I'll get to your finished version in a while so I can give you better criticism on it.
For the Sonic covers, go on. Everything's okay. Chemical Plant wasn't finished, so I understand what you posted. It's okay as it is, so just keep working on it.
VRC7 is way too limited. I don't use it at the moment. The predefined patches aren't useful for me, and having only one user-defined patch is something you should be careful with. I have got good bass on it, but that leaves me with only the predefined patches to make leads, effects and other things.
I have also toyed around with VGM music Maker and Deflemask, but I'm not up to the challenge of using them to make music, since FamiTracker was the first tracker that was introduced to me, and being it so easy to use, it screwed my chances of wanting to use another tracker. I sometimes want to call it LazyTracker because of its simplicity!
Well, as I said in the beginning of this post, good luck. I also grew up with a Sega Genesis, and I love its sound. Hope your covers are awesome.
_______________________
"im going to continue making this crazy stuff then after a while my style will be so sick that you will be like damn suuun that shit is so sick i dont even get it. i will be like bro its ok.. you dont have to." -omgdonut
I would suggest you put your covers or any stuff you make in a new thread in the future, although since this is just a link, it is acceptable. This computer doesn't like to make sound work too often, but I'll check the link anyway.
EDIT: Hell, that was an FTM. Still, we appreciate better that people put their FTMs in the attachments instead of external links. You can make a new thread if you want to receive feedback and criticism from people here, since posting in someone else's thread will likely make your file get a little ignored.
EDIT2: I listened to your FTM, but I don't know, at first it looked like Zex's cover, because of the name, instruments and some things, but then noticed it is different. I would suggest that if you need to use part of someone else's work, like patterns, instruments and other stuff, you should better get his authorization to use it prior to make your stuff, unless you are editing it to correct some things or whatever. At first I thought you stole it, but now I think you didn't. I am a little rough at times, so sorry if this sounds like that. Don't scare me like that next time.
By the way, it's good, but needs a new speed measure since it goes a little fast, and I suggest you use the Gxx effect to delay notes, since some are out of place. Well, I hope you keep improving your skills!
The only thing I used of his was his instrument set. (Yes, if you look in the DPCM list, it's different samples.) I made this a while back, but I just became a member this week. Go figure.
Oh, and the reason why I had to link to an external file-sharing site is because I can't upload the FTM by attachment for some reason. It comes up as a .tmp file.
_______________________
"im going to continue making this crazy stuff then after a while my style will be so sick that you will be like damn suuun that shit is so sick i dont even get it. i will be like bro its ok.. you dont have to." -omgdonut
I noticed the instruments were the same in your module. In rare cases, you will need to ask for permission to use anything from someone else's work but I don't think this is the case.
And about your FTM being uploaded as a TMP file, that's weird. Check your browser's options and try again, and if it doesn't work, ask jsr(the admin and creator of FamiTracker, in case you didn't know). I hope you get a solution.
@poodlecock I appreciate that you want to showcase your own work, but could you please not do it in my thread?
I'm sure it would be better suited in a thread of your own, where people could give proper critique without it getting mixed up in conversations and responses to other peoples work.
As for your cover, I'm not sure what your stance on accuracy is so I'm not going to pick at it too much, but to me what you've put together sounds more like a sort of rearrangement of the track, as the speed is a little off and the instruments are quite different than both what I used in my .FTM and what the original track uses.
Moving on;
I did a Castlevania cover <egads>.
I decided to cover Out of Time from the original Castlevania. My favourite track from the game.
The cover wasn't too hard, but the instrumentation drove me nuts. I ended up just using note releases for the first time since I started using FamiTracker.
As for any future Castlevania work, hopefully in time for this years Halloween, I'll be covering 4 versions of Vampire Killer.
- 2A03 Vampire Killer from Castlevania
- 2A03 Vampire Killer from Castlevania III
- VRC6 Vampire Killer from Akumajou Densetsu
- A VRC7 rendition of Vampire Killer from Castlevania IV
I do like to push my work for a high level of accuracy, but at the same time doing so is long and strenuous and can make work like covers really frustrating sometimes.
Still no sign of Chemical Plant Zone VRC7 being done anytime soon, so instead have a very early WIP of a VRC7 cover of Sting Chameleon's stage.
Nice. The FM instruments make it sound too synthetic though, but that's how FM synthesis works, right? I think bass can be tweaked in order to achieve something better, even with preset patches.
Still, I trust you will be able to improve that. Your stuff is nice up to now.
I'm not really entirely sure if a more accurate SNES Mega Man X bass sound can be achieved with the other preset patches. I originally had planned to either use Patch #2 or #4 for the bass, but Sting Chameleon uses a very strange bass instrument in the original track, so it was either Patch #13,#14 or #15 and in the end I decided that Patch #15 was the closest without using the custom patch settings.
In other news, the cover is still in the works, the percussion is being as tedious as it possibly could be and coving a track like this without using the Square pulse channels is kind of weird for me.
--
The next two .FTM's weren't exactly on my to-do list but whatever. I need some 'variation' around here.
Being both my first legitimate piece of N163 work and an orchestral cover, Badinerie is going to take a long long time to put together. What is currently being presented is probably 2-3 hours of work to get the right notes and other misc things.
I don't expect I'll have this done in quick time due to it's size and format. But I'll get there eventually.
Kakariko Village is the result of long sessions of playing Ocarina of Time 3D and messing around with the preset VRC7 instrument patches.
Not my best work, but it's still nice to listen to I guess.
So the previous stuff didn't go down too well. Okay.
Two more .FTMs to show today, but nothing terribly special.
First we have a really old Emerald Hill 2A03 cover that I've been touching up with new sounds and such, not too extensive at the moment, but it's still a work in progress.
And the other cover is an incredibly generic VRC7 cover of Greensleeves. That's all I can say. Oh, and it has really pointless and unnecessary echoes.
Didn't listen to your previous stuff the last time you posted, but now I did and it's very good as always. The Badinerie one reminded me of that ringtone the old cellphones had, which I heard all the time since many people used it. I suppose the 8 channels are to make it lower quality since you are only using one, it's understandable. Kakariko village was very nice, but channel 3 was too loud compared to the rest of the channels.
The Emerald Hill 2A03 wasn't what I would have expected since it's still in a very early WIP stage, but I would still like to see that finished. Try to lower the volume in the pulses a little though. Greensleeves reminded me of part of my childhood, when I was taking music classes and I had to play this once.
Your stuff is always good but the WIP thing annoys me a little, specially when they are in a very early stage of development, but that's just my opinion.
As a tip, if you want your VRC7 stuff to sound a bit better when you are using the 2A03, lower the channels' volume to something under 0xC or something so the 2A03 channels can be heard clearly along with the VRC7 ones.
It has literally been a month since I touched this thread. Jesus Christ.
--
The Badenerie cover has a long way to go, being an orchestral cover going from real instruments and real time recording to a sequenced 8-Bit cover it's taking a long time to put together. Not only because of the notation of the instruments, but also making accurate instruments themselves. I'll be covering all the instruments in the actual song, hence there being 8 channels and whatnot, so I won't be getting that one done for quite some time. To say the least.
Kakariko Village has been adjusted, lowered the volume of the harmonica channel down to an E. The updated .FTM is attached below.
I had more of the 2A03 cover of Emerald Hill done initially, it was very old and didn't sound good, so I decided to remove all the horrendous stuff from the previous version and give it a total overhaul, I'll be continuing work on it soon, once a few other things around here have been done.
I remember learning Greensleeves on Piano a long while back, so the VRC7 cover was literally all from memory, being that is so, I did notice the final two frames were coming in a tad too early, so I did adjust it to make it flow better, the updated .FTM is attached below.
ZexionTehWolf wrote:
As for any future Castlevania work, hopefully in time for this years Halloween, I'll be covering 4 versions of Vampire Killer.
- 2A03 Vampire Killer from Castlevania
- 2A03 Vampire Killer from Castlevania III
- VRC6 Vampire Killer from Akumajou Densetsu
- A VRC7 rendition of Vampire Killer from Castlevania IV
So I'm actually doing this thing. Not sure if I'll get them all out for Halloween, but I'll try for October/November. At the moment I only have the bass and percussion done of the first three, I shall begin work on the VRC7 cover from Castlevania IV soon-ish. The current .FTMs are attached below.
During the summer I enrolled on a Necromancy course in my local area ( I didn't), and with my skills I was able to conjure three of my covers back from the dead.
My VRC7 Emerald Hill needed a bit of work, I've adjusted some of the patches in the far right channels and added a little bit of vibrato to the notes in order to get them closer to the original 16-Bit track. I've also added Pxx commands to a few of the channels, makes the most prominent leads stand out and sound a whole lot better, plus it's now more accurate to the original Emerald Hill song! The updated .FTM is attached below.
Likewise with VRC7 Emerald Hill, VRC7 Casino Night (2-Player) got a little bit of a touch up too, mainly adding Pxx commands in a few places to make it sound better, and adjusting the volumes of a few channels in a few places, not much different from the previous update. Whenever that was...Anyways, the updated .FTM is attached below.
Now the next item on the list is something that's been in the works for a long time, but I finally got it to a near complete state.
My VRC7 cover of Chemical Plant actually got done. I made massive leaps in short time. After discovering that the backup channels sounded really good, and accurate to boot too, with Patch #7 I immediately began working on it to get it done. I had to go back and edit a lot of stuff in the few frames I had done at that current point, as the effects and other techniques I was using were rather outdated. I eventually got it done. I'm not entirely sure if the volumes and balancing are any good, so that still might need adjusting, but the cover work is done, so at least I have that to show. The current .FTM is attached below.
After completing Chemical Plant, I immediately jumped onto one of my favourite songs in the Sonic 2 OST, Casino Night. I've got a lot of it done, I'm just trying to figure out of to do the trumpet instrument used in the original 16-Bit track. So all the channels and frames that would use that instrument are currently blank. I'm thinking that the closest Patch instrument to use would either be #7 or #12. I'll experiment soon and figure out which one sounds closer to the original instrument.
Oh, and the custom Bass patch is really quiet for some reason and I don't exactly know why. I based it off of Patch #2, which is inherently quite loud, so I really cannot fathom why the custom patch would be muted so much. Anyways, the current .FTM is attached below.
More VRC7 stuff from me as per usual around here. This time another near complete cover, of Hill Top Zone. Surprisingly, all the work done in that .FTM was all done in about 4 or 5 hours. I was genuinely surprised at how quick I got the work done and how simple Hill Top Zone's OST track was. I've been listening to that song for 15 years and I had never realized it was so basic. Only the channels and frames with the harmonica instrument remain. In the original track the instrument goes through some really weird pitch bending and volume fluctuation so I'm finding it a bit difficult to get it all done accurately with the VRC7 patches. I'll get there in the end. The current .FTM is attached below.
And now it's time for something a little bit different. Per se. I've been working on a cover of AT4RE - Registry Fast 4.0 KG, which in itself is a sort of remix of Greensleeves. For a good long while I'd been doing it in 2A03 with DPCM, but now I've started working on a VRC6, medium accuracy cover of it. It's pretty bare bones and very early WIP stage, but it's a lot better than what I used to have. This also marks it as my very first submitted VRC6 WIP, behind Akumajou Densetsu Vampire Killer of course. I have a few more VRC6 WIP's to get done, but a lot of them arent worth submitting as they are incredibly basic. The current .FTM is attached below.
--
So that's all I've been working on for the past month or so. I'll try not to leave the next update till next month haha.